Recipe By Russ Crandall
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Protein: 54 g
Carbs: 18 g
Fat: 36 g
4 dried red chile peppers
1 jalapeño, seedless
10 cloves garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp shrimp paste
1 tbsp white peppercorns
1-inch piece of ginger, peeled
1 stalk lemongrass, sliced
Handful of fresh cilantro stems
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
2 lbs shrimp, peeled
14 oz coconut milk, divided
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 red bell pepper, sliced
Juice of 1/2 lime
Small handful of basil leaves
1. Combine paste ingredients in a blender until smooth, adding water if needed, and set aside.
2. Warm coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add shrimp.
3. Stir-fry until pink and cooked through, in batches if needed, for one minute.
4. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
5. Reduce heat to medium and add 1⁄4 cup of the paste to the skillet.
6. Bring to a simmer and sauté, stirring constantly, about four minutes.
7. Stir in half of the coconut milk and simmer about eight minutes, then add the shrimp.
8. Stir in the remaining coconut milk, fish sauce, and bell pepper and cook for another minute.
9. Add the lime juice and basil leaves and serve.
Quick Tip: Before you blend the chiles, soak them in warm water for half an hour to ensure you get the right consistency for your paste.