By Joseph Santos
Time to change it up and substitute your meat for some veggies — go on, we dare you!
If you’re looking to incorporate more veggies and less meat into your diet, try getting adventurous with your produce. Butternut squash is quite diverse in flavour and texture depending on how you cook and eat it, and can be a hearty replacement for meat. As a rich source of beta-carotene and vitamins A and C, squash can help keep your skin and hair healthy and give your immune system a much-needed boost during the coming winter months.
Nutritional information per serving
14 g protein
65 g carbs
14 g fat
Directions: (Makes 6 Patties)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a bowl, mix squash, oregano, and half of the olive oil. Cook for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Blend squash, chickpeas, salt, cumin, paprika, garlic, coriander, egg, cornmeal, and half of the lemon juice. Cool in fridge.
- In a bowl, combine the avocado, onion, garlic powder, and remaining lemon juice.
- Remove the squash mixture from the fridge and form six patties. Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and cook patties on medium heat for roughly five minutes on each side.
- Place patties on rolls and garnish them with the remaining ingredients.