Let me tell you, being that I am now knocking the door of turning the big 4-0, aging gracefully has never been more important to me! Today, I want to share some helpful tips with you. These top 6 Non-negotiables are sure to slow down what feels like the wicked process of aging!
- Drinking enough water Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! I cannot stress this enough! One thing I have learned as a bikini competitor is that if you don’t stay hydrated, your physical performance can suffer. So, what you do to make sure you are getting enough is take your current body weight (for me 132) and divide that number by two. So, for me that number is 66. I need at least 66 ounces of water a day though I train hard and like to shoot for at least 80 oz. That, my friends, is you magic water number. So let’s discuss what happens when our bodies get dehydrated. Well, you most likely aren’t going to feel as motivated to get things done. You will feel more tired and lethargic, most likely you will find yourself with a headache, and even weighing more when you step on the scale. Yeah, I don’t know about you all but I have no time for any of those things! Drink at least your magic number of water daily – your body will thank you!
- Moving your Body Every Day! If yoga is your jam, walking your dog, hitting a hard workout, or even just playing with your kids in the park, whatever it may be, just move your body! The endorphins released during exercise not only will help you to feel better and happier, but you’ll be able to think more clearly as well. It’s almost like the movement shakes the brain fog away, leaving you with better concentration and mental sharpness. Daily physical activity gives you more energy to complete tasks and also contributes to better sleep. Also, as we age, our metabolism slows down. Eeek! Regular exercise can really help keep this from happening! Did you know that inactivity is one of the main risk factors for weight gain and obesity? Yeah… enough said. Make a commitment to yourself to move your body every day!
- Getting your Zzzz’s. So I just mentioned how regular exercise can help us to sleep better but now let’s discuss why sleep is so dang important when it comes to your health and aging gracefully. Sleep reduces stress which can help avoid weight gain. You see, stress causes our bodies to produce cortisol. Cortisol causes weight gain and can break down collagen that keeps our skin smooth and springy, but deep and regular sleep can help to prevent this! Lack of sleep affects our mood as well so great news, sleep can also help keep you from having to apologize for snapping at your spouse and/or kiddos, you and I both know this happens, as it strengthens our ability to stay calm, controlled, and reasonable. I know, you can tell your spouse Lori says, “You’re welcome”.
- Buying Anti-aging Skincare. Ok, this is one I am extremely passionate about. So passionate in fact that two years ago, I became a skincare consultant for Rodan + Fields. I chose this brand because it’s the number one anti-aging skincare line in North America and it takes the guess work out of skin care. I am someone who genuinely appreciates guidance. The same way I appreciate meal plans from my coach that takes out all of the guess work on what I should be eating to make my body look its best, our multi-med formulas are designed to take the guess work out of skin care in four easy steps to make your skin look its best. The bottles are literally labeled step 1, step 2, step 3, and step 4 and I mean, who can mess that up? I am telling you and keeping it 100% when I tell you my skin has never looked better than it does now! As you age, please don’t be afraid to invest in your skin and buy yourself some good, quality, anti-aging skincare products. Whether that be R+F or another higher end skincare line. It truly does make all the difference and helps us to feel confident knowing we are putting our best, hydrated, more youthful, and glowing face forward! Skincare is not all created equally and it’s ok to spend a little more on it. Find one that works for you!
- Choosing your Circle Wisely. The people we surround ourselves with most in life really matter. There are definitely perks to having a positive wolf pack! You see, you will inspire them but the beautiful thing is that they will inspire you right back. They make you believe that anything is possible and you do the same for them. You never have to be afraid to share your dreams with them because their only question is why you have not already started because you could be killing it by now in their eyes! Your dreams are realistic to them; they truly believe in your ability to achieve them. Happiness and positivity is contagious and so when you surround yourself with glass half-full type of people you will find yourself in a better mood. You feed off each other’s energy! While negative people can suck the energy right out of you, positive people add wind to your sails and truly help you to fly! My advice is to make sure that whatever you’re taking in, whether it be a podcast, a show, music, a book, or people you follow on Insta, just be mindful and ask yourself if it is adding wind to your sails. If the answer is no-turn it off and find something or someone that does.
- Nourishing your Body with Whole Foods. You might be thinking that there is a convenience factor when it comes to processed foods and trust me, I get it! However your body will feel its absolute best when it is nourished with whole, real food that is free of chemical additives, and rich in nutrients! As if that isn’t enough, and since we are talking about ways to age gracefully, I have to mention that whole foods are much better for your skin! Some studies show that eating more veggies, fish, beans, and olive oil, may help reduce wrinkles, loss of elasticity, and other age-related skin changes. Yes, please!